Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cebu Prostitution is Getting Younger

Insomnia struck me again, as I browse through the local channels. I so happen to pass at a documentary by Kara David and her fellow research journalist. It was about taxi service, of young girls, boys and gays giving sex service to taxi drivers or to any customer. I was heart broken, to see young children willing to sell their body for money. What was more shocking was when a young gay prostitute at the age of 11 commented in an unclear manner:"mas limpyo man kuno ang mga bayot walay sakit, mga babae hugaw daw, kanang HIV bah..." as he innocently tapped his lips indicating blow jobs are safer
When he commented this I jaw dropped, I speculated that he have the false notion oral sex is safe.
What was more shocking was when I saw an 11 year old girl and an 11 year old gay prostitute in action of searching for what they call "prospects". I was heart broken. I could not imagine that I, a Cebuano citizen, have over passed to see this activity when in fact I myself also walk the nightly corners of the street to pass away my sleeplessness. As I walked through the ghastly corners of Capitol and Escario, as I stride through Junquera, filled with pimps, As I gazed along the robber infested streets of colon, the lively flea market in Jones and the unsleepy market of Carbon. I never expected that I these little children that plays the murderous lonely streets of the night was selling their body, I see them laugh, I see them jump and chase each other, I see them shout on the street as if the world is theirs. Yet behind their laughter is a sad face hidden. As the documentary goes on, every details of the story hit me like a hard stone. I said to myself:"This happens not because the government has no actions to stop this, but because people like me have allowed this to happen"

Children not at peace in their home, children of hungry mouths, children of poverty. At first i was so convinced that I have no power to change the already existing facts, but then again as I look at the mirror and imagined myself in their situation, it would be a hard struggle. These children are in a battle, and every night as they stroll on the street, waving for costumers, they never realize that they are slowly loosing the cruel war. I want to save them, I want to help them, I want them to be as children. I agree to what Kara David said , Sinulog is not just a celebration of Sto. Nino but it is a celebration showing how important little children are to God.

After the documentary, I quickly dressed myself up and walked through the lonely nights. And indeed it was true, little boys, girls and gays on the street waiting to be picked up. I stand there helpless, watching these little kids and worried. I just placed my hands inside my pockets hoping they wont be the next victims of the cruel and unfair business they are in, as i turned back to walk a long way home, I saw in front of me a little girl sleeping at the corner of the street, a taxi stopped in front of her, she woke up and quickly ran into the taxi. A few old men laugh at the side as they try to savor the last drop of the gin they are drinking, I looked them in thier eyes, and in my mind I hope they realize that what just happened is not a laughing matter.

for more information about the I-witness documentary by Kara David please watch the link below: (Taxi Serbis)

I watch this sad documentray, I already arranged them in order:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEUz1pAWdA
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc02TyyP9Qg&feature=related
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khRHDy4IODA&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment